- Advertisement -Newspaper WordPress Theme
BusinessGoldman Sachs' $80 million retention bonuses for bosses draw flak

Goldman Sachs’ $80 million retention bonuses for bosses draw flak


Apr 01, 2025 11:14 AM IST

The incentives “lack rigorous, pre-set performance criteria, which is particularly concerning,” a proxy adviser said.

Goldman Sachs Group Inc.’s $80 million retention bonuses for the firm’s top two leaders have drawn another prominent critic, with Institutional Shareholder Services urging investors to reject the rewards at an annual meeting.

The logo for Goldman Sachs is seen.(Reuters)

The incentives for Chief Executive Officer David Solomon and President John Waldron “lack rigorous, pre-set performance criteria, which is particularly concerning for off-cycle awards with such large values,” the proxy adviser wrote in note to clients Monday. It accused the board of “poor practice” for adding new incentives before a prior program is finished.

In a separate recommendation late last week, Glass Lewis described the latest bonuses as “excessive.”

Goldman Sachs’s board has urged shareholders to endorse the incentives in an advisory vote at its April 23 meeting, with the firm citing “fierce” competition for talent. The package of restricted stock would reward the pair for sticking around five more years.

“The board took action to retain our current leadership team, to sustain our firm’s momentum and maintain a strong succession plan,” the company said in a statement after Glass Lewis’ earlier recommendation.

The bank’s stock has advanced more than 140% since Solomon’s tenure as CEO began in 2018, outperforming the broader S&P 500 Index. The value of the new incentives are based on the stock’s price in January and could increase if it goes up further.

Yet the size and structure of the package raise significant concerns, ISS said.

“The board’s rationale for these grants in the context of strong company performance and competitive climate may be compelling for some shareholders,” the adviser acknowledged. But the fresh incentives were added while another reward program from 2021 is still pending, it said.

Directors should have laid out their reasoning for doing so, ISS said. “It is generally considered a poor practice to grant overlapping off-cycle awards.”



Source link

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

Subscribe Today

GET EXCLUSIVE FULL ACCESS TO PREMIUM CONTENT

SUPPORT NONPROFIT JOURNALISM

EXPERT ANALYSIS OF AND EMERGING TRENDS IN CHILD WELFARE AND JUVENILE JUSTICE

TOPICAL VIDEO WEBINARS

Get unlimited access to our EXCLUSIVE Content and our archive of subscriber stories.

Exclusive content

- Advertisement -Newspaper WordPress Theme

Latest article

More article

- Advertisement -Newspaper WordPress Theme